Now Running on Rails 3.0.3
After 6-8 hours of work, I've finally managed to get my code running with Rails 3. I don't have much experience with the latest changes yet, so I found myself looking things up for almost every small problem.
The areas that I found most difficult to change were:
- Outdated Plugins and Gems
- Hosting Headaches
The routing in Rails 3 is totally different than Rails 2. It definitely feels like it makes more sense, but you pretty much need to "translate" your entire routes.rb file. This probably took me the most time and caused the most issues. Some path names got switched around which ended up forcing me to deal with some find-and-replace business.
The email setup also makes a lot more sense now, but requires big changes to get up and running. While the changes were very easy to understand and follow, they did take time to rewrite. In fact, I still have some lingering code that needs to be updated (cron job mail code).
Despite the relatively long upgrade time, I feel really happy about using Rails 3. It's important to keep applications up to date, and I needed an opportunity to start doing some real work with Rails 3.
Please do let me know if you come across any bugs and I'll deal with them as quickly as possible. Here's hoping I have stable code!